Not a criticism, but I'd prefer to know the requirements,
before writing the tools.
As far as I can tell, maven doesn't do URI parsing.
I don't know a lot about Gump, but if it wants to pull down the
newest versions of jars, it can via the "latest" version tag [1].

Avalon adds meta-data, which is supported through
the statement in [2]:
  "Projects should be able to deploy arbitrary artifacts to the repository,
   whether they be for end-users, or meta-data (e.g, maven's project.xml).
   Tools should ignore any artifact they don't understand."

-Tim

[1]
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?action=edit&id=ASFRepository/Co
mmonBuildVersionSpecifier