After looking back through our internal emails regarding this, it
appears it is not only related to welcome files, but from what we have
seen so far it has only been affecting static content (specifically
.html files).  I don't see any exceptions in the logs when this is
happening, but as I mentioned before I don't have full debug logging
turned on because it is a production system.  There doesn't seem to be
any pattern to the files which get affected other than the fact that
they are all HTML files that end in .html and that includes welcome
files when the requested URL doesn't include the file name (the welcome
file would be index.html).

When this happens we typically see it not working for a host alias
http://www.mydomain.com/file.html but it works fine if you go to
http://mydomain.com/file.html.  This makes me think it has something to
do with the cache because the host alias with www is probably accessed
much more frequently than without it, so maybe the problem occurs after
the cache fills up.

Thanks for your help,

Shane