On Apr 20, 2008, at 6:41 AM, Shane Cruz wrote:

After looking back through our internal emails regarding this, it appears it is not only related to welcome files, but from what we have seen so far it has only been affecting static content (specifically .html files). I don’t see any exceptions in the logs when this is happening, but as I mentioned before I don’t have full debug logging turned on because it is a production system.

Our exceptions are logged at the warning level, so you'd see them in the default setting, i.e. it doesn't look like an exception issue.

There doesn’t seem to be any pattern to the files which get affected other than the fact that they are all HTML files that end in .html and that includes welcome files when the requested URL doesn’t include the file name (the welcome file would be index.html).

When this happens we typically see it not working for a host alias http://www.mydomain.com/file.html but it works fine if you go to http://mydomain.com/file.html. This makes me think it has something to do with the cache because the host alias with www is probably accessed much more frequently than without it, so maybe the problem occurs after the cache fills up.

That definitely sounds like the cache. One of the big changes in 3.1 was a reworking of the underlying cache store (early in 3.1, like 3.1.1), to solve problems very similar to what you're reporting. So, it's possible you're seeing behavior that's been fixed in 3.1. I'll work through the whole file -> cache path to see if there's anything still wrong in 3.1.

FYI, with the upcoming 3.1.6 release (2-3 weeks), the 3.1.x branch will move to stable and new development will move to a 3.2 branch.

-- Scott

Thanks for your help,
Shane

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ] On Behalf Of Scott Ferguson
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 1:47 PM
To: General Discussion for the Resin application server
Subject: Re: [Resin-interest] Blank Welcome Pages

On Apr 18, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Shane Cruz wrote:

We are using Resin Pro 3.0.24 and have noticed an intermittent problem that is rather weird. After the JVM has been running for a few days, we some times see the case where HTTP requests for certain files return a blank HTML page such as:

This seems to happen mostly with welcome files (index.html), and we see behavior such as:

Mostly welcome files or always?

Is there any kind of exception in the log file?

When it happens, it seems to affect a lot of pages at once, but only on the one JVM.

Is there any pattern to the pages affected? Is this always cacheable pages or some cacheable and some non-cacheable?

-- Scott

Restarting that JVM immediately fixes the problem… at least for a few days.

Our welcome file list (in app-default.xml) looks normal:

  <welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
    <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
    <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
    <welcome-file>index.php</welcome-file>
  </welcome-file-list>

We are caching pages (in resin.conf):

    <resin:if test="${isResinProfessional}">
      <cache path="cache" memory-size="10M"/>
    </resin:if>

I don’t want to turn on full debug logging because this happens in our production environment but only after the JVM has been running for several days. I would prefer not to slow down the server for a long time with the extra logging.

Has anyone else seen anything like this or know what might be causing it?

Thanks,
Shane