I would also enable garbage collection logging (-Xloggc:<filename>) to see
if your application is running slow because the JVM is spending a lot of
time doing garbage collection.

If you are running SUN Java 6, you can use the jmap command to do a heap
dump also.  Jmap is available in Java 5 but it doesn't always produce a
consistent heap dump.

Bill