>> Aren't you polluting the network with twice the traffic if you do this?
>
> Unfortunately, you throw away all of your ownership and permissions
> information at the same time. :-/

Not to rant or anything, but the real question here is, "How bad do you want
a backup?" Backups require dedicated hardware, software, and bandwidth,
period. If you don't need to back it up, then you're wasting more than
bandwidth by doing so. If it's worth being backed up, then it's worth the
bandwidth (and what's a network for, if not to transfer data? Just a bunch
of pretty lights and colorful wires?). Also, file permissions are nice to
have, but I'd much rather have a backed-up file with no permissions than no
file at all.

:)

<><
Jon L. Gardner '89, Computer Systems Manager <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Texas A&M University Dept. of Food Services <http://food.tamu.edu/>
Tel 979.458.1839 Fax 979.845.2157 ICQ 34792860
PGP public key available at <http://food.tamu.edu/pgp/jon.html>