I have a different solution: two AIT drives.

1. If one drive fails for some reason, you can still run backup and do

2. You can always have a blank tape in the second drive just waiting
until it's needed.

3. You can double overnight and weekend backup with two tapes.

4. You're not dependent on a loader plus tape drive.

5. It's a lot less expensive to buy a second tape drive than to invest in
a loader.

6. If you outgrow two drives, adding a third may still be less costly
than investing in a loader.

We're backing up 80+ Macs daily, everything from servers (about 25 GB
capacity) to design computers (up to 50 GB on those) and anything else
(160 MB to 10 GB). Thanks to data compression, our initial backup usually
fills two tapes, running into a third the day after that, then slowly
filling a five-tape set over a one-month period.

Then we start over again.

Dan Knight, information systems manager       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

 - Saved by grace