Funny you should mention this.

Our Seagate AIT loader that has been chugging away for about a year just
died.  Found it ate a tape and I had to perform surgery to get the
magazine out - force eject didn't work.

FWIW, a guy a Seagate told me they've found that tapes wear pretty quickly
in these things and that I should probably be replacing them more often
than I am.  We cycle four different magazines through this thing and I was
just about to replace them when one got eaten.  A production set of DAT
tapes normally last us a year so I figured that AIT's would too.  Guess I
was wrong! :-)

All in all though we've been pretty happy with it and Seagates support
too.  They're advance replacing me a new unit which sould be here today -
I should note that I got the tape-eater working again but Seagate insisted
on replacing it.  It certainly is pretty cool just to slam a magazine in
the thing and change it every monday morning - I can basically forget
about it.

The only thing I can think of that would be *cooler* is if Retrospect read
those little chips on the AIT tapes.  It can take several minutes for
retrospect to query a new magazine because it actually has to read tape.
hint, hint.

    >>>Also, anybody have a solution for notification of failures? I've
been
toying with hacking up an applescript solution to my pager, but if
someone's
already done it...  ;-)<<<

OK, that would be cooler still!

HTH,