Actually, tape loaders are very inexpensive -- a 15 tape library chassis
costs less than a second AIT-2 drive.

You can't beat the redundancy of two drives though (a lot of customers will
put two AIT drives into a single tape library - the chance of both drives
going south at the same time is extremely small).

Today's libraries are built knowing AIT-3 and 4 are coming.  You can replace
the AIT-1 or 2 drive with the upcoming generations in the field.  This gives
you scalability -- and allows you to keep your investment in the loader.

If anyone wants information on converting existing single drive unit(s) to a
library, please e-mail me.