Sammy sent me info on a 30 day free VXA trial and special pricing from
Ecrix. I've added a new column to my data:

DRIVE       NS-20     ECHO 30    VXA
Native       10 GB     15 GB      33 GB
Compressed   20 GB     30 GB      66 GB
Speed       50MB/min  120MB/min  36MB/min
Drive cost   $550      $630      $600
Tape cost     $60       $50       $80
$/GB*       $4.60     $2.33      $1.60
Drive + 2    $670      $730      $760

* estimated based on 30% compression

I really like the higher capacity media.

Based on what I've seen here on the list, I'm going to give the Ecrix VXA
drive a try.
Anyone else interested in this deal (Mac version $599 incl. Retrospect).

<http://www.ecrix.com/eval>

Dan Knight, information systems manager       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

 - Macintosh: Love bug resistant, always Y2K ready