Hi.  1st post on this list, I'll try to keep it as condensed as possible,
but this problem....

I've got a large number of Mac 6100s with Sonnet Crescendo G3 cards
installed, running OS9  I'm using Retrospect 4.2 over TCP/IP.  The problem
is that these macs will often return an error -519 (network communication
failed) at different points in the backup; sometimes while the remote is
being scanned, sometimes 10% of the way through, or 70%, or during the
verification.  These errors happen immediately, meaning the server doesn't
display the "Net Retry" window and try to reconnect.  It, or the remote,
just drops the connection like a hot potato.  After that happens, I can
Immediate -> Backup the remote right away and either finish the backup or
see the whole thing happen again, depending on my luck.
        If I remove the Crescendo card from the remote or disable the
driver for it, the problem goes away.  If I keep the hardware as it is and
switch to backing up over Appletalk, the problem goes away.  A 6100 without
a Crescendo will have a spotless backup record until I install a Crescendo
in it, but the TCP/Appletalk factor indicates that the problem is a little
deeper than just hardware.  6100s with Crescendos and OS 8.x backup fine
too.  Finally, Macs other than 6100s and 7100s, but with OS9 and a
crescendo G3 have no problem.

SO..... what's up with Retrospect, TCP, Sonnet Crescendos and 61/7100 macs?
Is anyone else experiencing problems like this, or NOT having these
problems with this same hardware?

TIA

-Hunter

Hunter Parrot,  I.S. Administrator
New England Biolabs Inc.  32 Tozer Rd.  Beverly, MA. 01915
978-927-5054 ext 329  Fax: 978-921-1350
800-632-5227
http://www.neb.com