This thread is a bit old, but...

>Ken Gillett wrote:
>>  But I still maintain that NO software should cause unrequested
>>  dialups, I'm sorry if you don't agree. I don't accept that it is
>>  beyond the realms of possibility to only perform such checks if it
>>  doesn't cause a dialup.
>Peter S., the IPNR author, gets this type of bashing on his list all the
>time. His answer, and I assume it's true, is that a program can't tell
>if it's on a dial up connection. The OT code hides this from you. This
>causes a lot of support headaches for him as many of the problems are in
>the dialing, and he has no control over when and how that's happening.

This has got to be rubbish - just go to Eudora's preferences under
"Internet Dial-up"!  There is a check box marked

"Don't check mail automatically if my Internet Dial-up software isn't
already connected"

Dantz needs the same check box on it's client software

"Don't check the network connection if my Internet Dial-up software
isn't already connected"

This would work beautifully!  I am heartily sick of the delays caused
by automated dial-ups every hour!

I hear your comments Matthew Tevenan, but there is simply no good
reason why Retrospect couldn't behave in this manner!

My problem with your location manager suggestion is that often I want
to use my machine "on the road", and use location manager to switch
locations WITHOUT rebooting to install/deinstall the Retrospect