Does anyone know if there is a way to run Retrospect from a CD?  What I mean
by this is I want to boot the Mac from a CD, backup the hard drive to a
remote volume (server) and then format the drive. when I try to launch
Retrospect, it has problems running from a locked volume.  I have not tried
the express version but I'm willing to get that if it will work.

This is becoming more important to me as SCSI goes away. I used to do this
by booting from a SCSI hard drive. I'm trying to put off buying a firewire
or USB drive for this purpose but it may come to that.

I'll be willing to try whatever you can send along.