We're rather small, about 200 machines total for 3 backup servers.
One of the backup servers does only 10 clients and a ASIP server.

I use Retrospect and swear by it.  We've used ArcServe and it's a
piece of junk compared to Retrospect on the same number of clients.
Backups are happening reliably and as fast, if not faster.  Laptops
are not a problem as you can have a backup server script to just do
laptops when-ever they are available or when the users request it.
I've had that setup on mine for a while and my users love the fact
that they can tell it to backup their laptop just before they travel
(Piece of mind thing).

The real key to large scale is setting up a plan.  How often, how
long, how much, and how many.

The server that does 10 machines does a full backup over the weekend
and incrementals through the week.  The amount of data ranges from
25GB to 35GB.

Dealing with ArcServe, you probably have a good idea of how you want
the backups to go.  Retrospect is a lot easier to set up to do what
you want it to do.

mattb