Hi Ilyes,

You can certainly automate your backups to an external hard drive with
Retrospect! The only place we've left out that functionality is in the
EasyScript wizard, and that's because EasyScript is designed to work with
rotating backup sets. Even if you have multiple file backup sets, they
aren't really as independent of each other as a tape, CD-R or removables
set, as they are typically stored on single drive.

To automate your operation, create a new backup script, but do not use the
EasyScript feature. Instead, create a backup script in which your
destination is the file backup set that you wish to back up to.

Once you've created your script, click "Run" from the Immediate tab and make
a run document. This creates a Retrospect file that you can double-click to
launch Retrospect and run your script. You can save this file wherever you
like, and one double-click runs your entire backup.

Please give us a call if you have any questions on how to set this up or
automate any other functions with Retrospect. BTW, all the features
mentioned here are in both Retrospect and Retrospect Express, Mac and

Irena Solomon
Dantz Technical Support
Try our new Searchable Knowledgebase at: