I've spent the past couple hours looking into this. I doubt I will have a
fix by tomorrow, unfortunately. This is a very strange bug.

Here's what's basically going on:

Review Board 1.7 uses Django 1.4, which introduced timezone support, used
to specify timezone info in the database and allow for per-user timezone
localization. We made use of this and set the default server timezone to
UTC.

Somehow, setting this timezone to UTC causes a problem I think between
libsvn and rbssh. rbssh's stdin is interrupted early, causing rbssh's
connection to the server to terminate, causing Review Board to see an
error, indicating the repository isn't valid.

Something, somewhere fails when the timezone configured for Review Board
doesn't match the system timezone.

Now, what would help is if you could run a test or two for me.

First off, what timezone is your actual server in/set to?

Can you try setting your timezone in Review Board's admin UI to match that
timezone, and try again?