I agree, http 500 isn't at all useful: I think on my setup I was always
seeing an error saying there were no matching repositories found.

Christian's mention of Mirror Path was the hint I needed to look up the
documentation - from there I realised that entering the ssh:// URL that
developers use (Review Board accesses repos using a local path) would let
setup-repo start working.

--
Bruce