I did some tests on the profile of the first diffraction peak of LaB6, where I added a secondary soller angle, since I used secondary soller slits, and I added also the parameter for the horizontal divergence in the equitorial plane. Finally I added a crystallite-size parameter CS_L. I did the calculation for two measurements: one with a horizontal divergence of 1/32 degrees and the other with 1/4 degrees. Fundamental parameters were not refined,as it should be. If the FP description was correct, then CS_L should refine to approximately the same value in the two cases. Well, it doesn't (310 and 190 angstrom, respectively). The fits are reasonable, but not perfect.

Silly question and I think I am missing the point - but how did you fix the vertical divergence contribution? I thought LaB6 from NIST had a larger crystallite size than either of your values, suggesting something has gone wrong in both cases. If the program thinks you have a lot of sample broadening, when in reality LaB6 was chosen for having very little, it is probably missing a contribution of the instrument. You appear to have forced that instrumental thing be Lorentzian by refining only CS_L. Maybe just refine CS_L and CS_G together? This is unlikely to solve your problem but remember powder diffraction is only really good for measuring crystallite size when there is an appreciable size broadening compared to a line shape standard like LaB6!

And no one has mentioned "tube tails" yet ;-)

Good luck,

Jon



Reply via email to