On 3 May 2005 at 10:51, Jon Wright wrote:

> >
> Silly question and I think I am missing the point - but how did you fix 
> the vertical divergence contribution? I thought LaB6 from NIST had a 
> larger crystallite size than either of your values, suggesting something 
> has gone wrong in both cases. If the program thinks you have a lot of 
> sample broadening, when in reality LaB6 was chosen for having very 
> little, it is probably missing a contribution of the instrument. You 
> appear to have forced that instrumental thing be Lorentzian by refining 
> only CS_L. Maybe just refine CS_L and CS_G together? This is unlikely to 
> solve your problem but remember powder diffraction is only really good 
> for measuring crystallite size when there is an appreciable size 
> broadening compared to a line shape standard like LaB6!
> 
> And no one has mentioned "tube tails" yet ;-)
> 
yes, I think that I am missing an instrumental thing and yes, I did 
not refine the gaussian contribution. If I do that, I get 395+217 for 
the 1/4 case and 419+413 for the 1/32 case. What should it be for 
LaB6?
And no, my aim is not to get the crystallite size for LaB6, but I note 
that if I remove the crystallite size contribution that my the 
generated peak is much too small, so indeed, there is something 
lacking.
Last point, what do you mean by vertical divergence? The Topas 
manual defines the 'axial divergence' which can be limited by soller 
slits, and the 'horizontal divergence in the equitorial plane', which is, 
I think, the divergence perpendicular to the axial divergence. 
Whether you call it horizontal or vertical depends on whether you 
have a horizontal or vertical goniometer .

Arie            
*******************************************
A. van der Lee
Institut Europ�en des Membranes (UMR 5635)
Universit� de Montpellier II - cc 047
Place E. Bataillon
34095 Montpellier Cedex 5
FRANCE

visiting address: 300 Av. Prof. E. Jeanbrau

t�l.: 00-33-(0)4.67.14.91.35
FAX.: 00-33-(0)4.67.14.91.19
*******************************************


Reply via email to