I forgot to mention about the HP EliteDesk 800 series of machines.  These are
the range that has replaced the 8xxx series of machines.  They DO NOT come with
a PCI slot.  The PCI slot is an optional add on board on the 800 g1 and 800 g2
only.  The 800 g3 does not support PCI, only PCIe.  Therefore if you have older
PCI cards you need to factor this in when buying.  The PCI expansion card is
about $30.  I've got an 800 g2 i3 machine in a rack running EncoDad (to be
replaced over the summer with Rivendell) with an ASI6012 card and it's VERY
quiet (SSD) and reliable.  The only time is has been rebooted is when we had a
power cut and it's been running 24/7 since Jan 2017.

---- On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 07:52:53 +0000 Andy Higginson
<a...@higgles.co.uk> wrote ----

There are 3 types of case that HP use for their enterprise desktops.  These are
USFF (Ultra small form factor), SFF (small form factor) and CMT (Convertable
Mini Tower).  Only the CMT version has full height slots.  The CMT case can
either be used upright or it can be turned on it's side and the DVD drive can
be altered for either.  It will just fit into a rack case on it's side, and
it's about 4u in height.  Here is a link to the service manual.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03612798

Andy

---- On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 00:54:58 +0000 Rich Stivers
<r...@stivers-bros.com> wrote ----

Thank you for sharing all your experiences. I appreciate it. One more question,
do HP8300's typically have some full-height

PCIE slots? Most of the 8300's I found on Amazon that listed expansion slots
had low profile PCIE slots only. For my AS cards

I need full-height x1 slots.

Rich Stivers