Since the older examples you write of were installed, Rosegarden has made
some changes to the way channels are setup.

"Beginning with version 10.02, Rosegarden no longer provides controls for
changing the channel associated with each MIDI instrument Instead each
instrument uses the same channel as its instruemnt number."

The first thing to get some sound going, is to go to the Studio->Manage MIDI
devices menu and make sure you have output sent to fluidsynth. (Some of
these examples were written to run through a soundblaster 128 rather than
fluidsynth, so when they don't find the soundblaster they just give up and
send midi output to [No Port]).

Here's what I see when I open this window after opening Bogus Surf Jam:

MIDI Outputs:

[129:0] Synth Input Port
[14:0] Midi Through Port
[No Port]                              X

I get no sound because I have [No Port] selected.
Clicking on [129:0] Synth Input Port and closing the window will be enough
to give me some sort of sound.

However, Rosegarden doesn't do a perfect job of assigning sf2 patches to the
channels in these cases.

The most noticable problem for me, is that channel 9 which is supposed to be
the drum kit comes up as choir vocals which won't be in the right key or
anything.(C major rather than G minor). To fix this, select track 9 in that
middle area listing all the different tracks and then edit the track
parameters at the bottom left corner.. First check the check boxes for bank
and program. From the drop down menu for banks select bank 1:0 to get the
bank with all the drum kits in it. Then from the Program drop down menu
select what ever drum set you want.

For me this put everything to rights. But you might want to play around with
the Program assignment for the other tracks as well. Except of course that
for melodic instrument you'll want to be using bank 0:0 rather than bank
1:0.

This change from Rosegarden 10.02 has been fairly unkind to the examples
I've contributed since I invariable write the drums on two different tracks
one of which always comes up as a random out of tune racket. I do this
because all the cymbals and hi-hat positions can be written out without
accidentals in the key of B Major, while kick snare and toms are all
available without accidentals in the key of C. Also I find it easier to work
out as two tracks.

The three examples in question are Bogus Surf Jam, D'jer Fire and Stormy
Riders.

Perhaps I should fix these up and resubmit them. It is a bit of a pain to
get them going.

Hope this helps.