Rosegarden does pretty much all I need it to do.  Yes, it has a few
niggling (and apparently very hard to find) bugs, but no showstoppers that
are easily worked around.

As far as a future direction and additional features, you guys should
check out the Impro-Visor project and maybe give it a spin.

https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/

I often use it to start the compositional process and do the final
arranging and editing in Rosegarden.  It would be convenient if Rosegarden
incorporated some of the editing features of Impro-Visor.

Maybe the two projects should merge, although Impro-Visor is in Java and
Rosegarden is in C and Qt.