On 05/10/2012 05:46 AM, Andy wrote:

> Richard Bown wrote:
>> Ok so a quick trawl of emails turned up some names perhaps that could
>> contribute to new website/direction/developments.
>>
>> Just to say that this is just a quick scan and I may have missed out some
>> people who are big current contributors.  This is just to get the ball
>> rolling so apologies in advance if your name is here in error or not here
>> and you want it here.
>>
>>> Songwriters
>>> Will J Godfrey
>>> Holger Marzen
>>> Neil Bryan      User/Supporter
>>
>> Perhaps the above could contribute links/music/videos etc?
>>
>>> Current Core Dev
>>> Michael
>>> Tom Breton
>>> Daren Beattie
>>> Ian Gardner
>>
>> A plan for the future Dev direction if any.  Having no plan is also fine.
>>
>>> Devs or Interested in Ports
>>> Ian Gardner   Mac Port
>>> David Tisdell   Mac Port potentially?
>>> Richard         Windows Port.
>>
>> Maybe some ideas of timescales if these are real possibilities?
>>
>>> Website
>>> Brett McCoy
>>> Michael
>>> Chris?
>>> Richard
>>
>> Some idea of what to do with it and how to go forward.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Yes, I have some thoughts! To briefly introduce myself so I don't look like an
> intruder, I have been a on-off Rosegarden User for many years (and still am
> when I find time for making music) and my tiny contributions so far for RG
> have been two instrument definition files (Korg 05R/W and Yamaha RM50), a RG
> 1.7.3 Package for Mandriva 3 years ago and now a RG package for RHEL 6 and
> clones. I'm not a programmer so can't help on that side (I'm a sysadmin
> professionally).
>
> To get back on subject, I think RG needs to be more visible in the Linux world
> to attract new users and even more importantly make sure that packagers of all
> major Linux distros are aware of new releases, so that the latest version
> swiftly ends up in the repos of current distros.
>
> Without this crucial task most users will never be able to use RG as very few
> users are experienced enough to build from source themselves!
>
> Like I mentioned in another post I have taken the liberty to post the 12.04
> release announcement to Lxer.com and linuxtoday.com. IMHO this should be
> standard practice at every new release as it keeps RG in the news (at least
> occasionally) and it might alert packagers that there is a new version out.
>
> But since it's far from certain that all or even most packagers read these
> Linux newssites, it would maybe be useful to set up a rosegarden-announce
> mailing list just for new release announcements and then contact packagers of
> linux distros that have packaged up previous versions of RG encouraging them
> to subscribe to that list so that they stay informed about new releases.

Announcements on linux-audio-announcements?

During an email chat with one of the KDE4 developers a few years ago, I
mentioned that Rosegarden 10 was coming out. He said that was great
news, that RG was "one of our major audio applications." So not just
musicians think so!

--
David
gn...@hawaii.rr.com