On 06/18/2015 02:41 AM, david wrote:

> UEFI at its worst. I've been informed by Dell, though, that they carry
> many laptops that boot and run Linux just fine. (Looking at buying one
> to replace my wife's ailing netbook, since netbooks don't seem to exist
> anymore.)

I bought some random cheapo Dell laptop at Walmart about a year ago, and
had none of these problems.  Windows 8 on both of them.

> Nope. They grow up. People were saying those same things about the
> 20-somethings I work with now - and they focus and have excellent
> attention spans.

That bunch you have now is the tail end of the transitional generation.
  My daughter just graduated from high school.  My son is one of those
20-somethings.  I saw a lot of differences between their respective
bunches of friends.

I could go on and on about this.

> They're no more impatient about things than *we* were at that age. I
> remember my school teachers struggling mightily against the very same
> "no attention span, no patience" issues. ;)

Nonsense.  I first got online with a 300 baud modem, and I had to load
and save files from a cassette tape.