On 06/17/2015 11:30 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On 06/18/2015 02:41 AM, david wrote:
>
>> UEFI at its worst. I've been informed by Dell, though, that they carry
>> many laptops that boot and run Linux just fine. (Looking at buying one
>> to replace my wife's ailing netbook, since netbooks don't seem to exist
>> anymore.)
>
> I bought some random cheapo Dell laptop at Walmart about a year ago, and
> had none of these problems.  Windows 8 on both of them.

Good for you! I've looked at some of them (at Walmart and CostCo and
Target and Best Buy) and they're pretty much too big (in my wife's
opinion). She's looking to replace a netbook, and is disappointed that
the smallest laptops around are generally 11". Small laptops are not
cheap unless you want to fight with Linux on a Chromebook.

>> Nope. They grow up. People were saying those same things about the
>> 20-somethings I work with now - and they focus and have excellent
>> attention spans.
>
> That bunch you have now is the tail end of the transitional generation.
>    My daughter just graduated from high school.  My son is one of those
> 20-somethings.  I saw a lot of differences between their respective
> bunches of friends.
>
> I could go on and on about this.

And I'm sure your parents went on and on about you at that age, too. ;)

BTW, the most distractible, hyperactive, no-attention-span person I know
is 63. Has been all his life.

>> They're no more impatient about things than *we* were at that age. I
>> remember my school teachers struggling mightily against the very same
>> "no attention span, no patience" issues. ;)
>
> Nonsense.  I first got online with a 300 baud modem, and I had to load
> and save files from a cassette tape.

When I moved my writing platform from a Commodore VIC-20 to the IBM PC
platform, I wrote a small BASIC program on the VIC to read my stories
from tape, convert them to the IBM character set, then send them over a
null serial cable to the PC, where a terminal program received the text,
logging it into a plain text file ...

Definitely not something that anyone back then had any patience for
doing unless they were geeks!

--
David W. Jones
http://dancingtreefrog.com