On 06/17/2015 01:54 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> I glanced back over this comment, and realized it doesn't have the word
> "new" in it.  There are fewer and fewer NEW users every day.
>
> I can think of several reasons for this, such as people gravitating
> toward tablets and smartphones, people gravitating toward browser-based
> and cloud-based solutions, and even curious new Linux users just not
> having enough interest to wade through the process of getting the damn
> thing to boot on a modern computer.
>
> The CPU in my last machine died abruptly at 3:00 in the morning, so I
> went to the only store open at that hour, Walmart, and bought a Dell
> computer off the shelf.  It says a lot about how far Linux has come that
> all the hardware in a totally stock consumer grade mass market black box
> actually works with Linux, but I can't say the same for what I had to go
> through to get my USB key to boot.
>
> Boot from the DVD?  Forget it.  Boot from USB?  Forget it.  BIOS screen
> to change the boot order?  You must be joking!  No, you have to boot
> Windows 8, then dig deep into some obscure menu, then enable something,
> then reboot Windows 8, then dig into some other obscure menu and blah
> blah blah for two hours, until you FINALLY figure it out, and get Linux
> to boot.

UEFI at its worst. I've been informed by Dell, though, that they carry
many laptops that boot and run Linux just fine. (Looking at buying one
to replace my wife's ailing netbook, since netbooks don't seem to exist
anymore.)

Of course, Linux hardware vendors aren't necessarily any nicer. My
wife's netbook came with Ubuntu Linux installed. We don't use Ubuntu, we
use Debian. But there are some system settings we can't change under
Debian because the vendor's software for changing them runs only under
Ubuntu.

> If I had faced a challenge like that on the very first day, I never
> would have gotten anywhere with any of this.  My level of dedication and
> persistence just wasn't nearly high enough.
>
> Another thing that's changing is that email is almost irrelevant now,
> and all the old haunts I grew up with have disappeared, without anything
> really replacing them.  Everybody is on Facebook now, and there's
> nothing social about Facebook unless you're a pretty girl.

Facebook is a display ad platform. Check out what the Adcontrarian has
to say about FB. ;)

> It is what it is.  I don't see a bright future for any of the things I
> love and hold dear.  The future is young people with a 15-second
> attention span, randomly swallowing click bait, and texting each other
> from across a table.

Nope. They grow up. People were saying those same things about the
20-somethings I work with now - and they focus and have excellent
attention spans.

They're no more impatient about things than *we* were at that age. I
remember my school teachers struggling mightily against the very same
"no attention span, no patience" issues. ;)

Of course, I'm 60 now and have gotten much more impatient since then.

> No person born since 1994 has the attention span to read an email this long.

They would if it was on Facebook. Or on one of their friend's blogs.
(I've read some of my daughter's friends blogs since way back when they
were teens. Your email is real short compared to those posts!) ;)

> tl;dr stuff changed, like me on Facebook so we can get little Johnny
> Simpkins that new brain/computer interface so he can play candy crush
> all day without having to lift a muscle, just because

Facebook: The most successful Russian Mafia money-laundering operation
of all time.

--
David W. Jones
http://dancingtreefrog.com