On 11/26/19 5:46 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
I think it *is* also worth mentioning that different CPU 'monitoring' tools provide different results:

  Absolutely.  Which is why I mentioned "top" specifically.

I do have a laptop with Intel's so-called 'hyperthreading' and was reading that readings about CPU usage etc. can be quite weird in this case..

As a rule of thumb, a HT logical core is like having an additional 15% of a full physical core. Or for a 2 physical HT core, 4 logical core CPU you've got about 2.3 CPUs. I'm pretty sure "top" reports a total of 400% CPU with all four logical cores in use. Windows Task Manager reports a total of 100% for all four. So a maxed out core in Windows looks like 25% on a four logical core machine.

So, yeah, it's a mess. I've spent a lot of time working with these numbers. You get used to them.

Ted.