On 11/22/19 6:39 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
Exactly what setup have you got there if you don't mind me asking?

  1st gen Core i3-370M.  I'm using "top" to measure CPU usage.

I go with low spec hardware to make performance issues like this easier to see. This is how I was able to improve rg performance significantly.

To me the important point is that while idling, fluidsynth uses a small fraction of the CPU that zyn and yosh use. That means there is definitely room for improvement.

It's entirely possible that the issue is related to the fact that I'm using whatever version Ubuntu 18.04 shipped with. Maybe they built this with optimizations off? Maybe these are older versions?

Ted.