On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 13:19:17 -0500
Ted Felix <t...@tedfelix.com> wrote:

>   Since you seem to be OK with building software, you will probably
>find my MIDI Guide interesting.  It covers almost everything and might
>get you to a new and more specific place where the trouble may lie:
>
>   http://tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi.html
>
>Ted.

Had a look through this myself, and found it very good.
However...
There was one thing that grabbed my attention. That was when you say Zyn uses a
lot of CPU when idling.

I very much doubt that. I don't know what the current status is - I have no
contact with the devs these days, and haven't run it for years, but it's
certainly not true for Yoshimi.

QjackCtl reports a DSP load between 0.3% and 0.5% on a middle-of-the-road
machine. There is (as always) a catch though. This depends on how many parts
are enabled, and the complexity of the installed patches. A fairly complex 16
part setup idles at between 6.5% and 7%. and when running (from Rosegarden)
this rises to between 20% and 30%.

Running 48k 128 frames/Period.

--
Will J Godfrey