On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 9:09:32 AM UTC-8 zsc...@gmail.com wrote:

> I see that the link I posted to the installation from source documentation
> doesn't mention autoconf/automake, but I would have thought some other
> package would have already installed them.  Probably since homebrew is all
> bottles now they don't automatically get installed anymore if you are not
> building locally.
>
> But Dima is right, it's probably best practice to brew install the
> packages listed in the file build/pkgs/_bootstrap/distros/homebrew.txt.

The installation manual does not mention the bootstrapping prerequisites
because users installing source releases will not need them.
Bootstrapping is only needed when developers use branches from git that
make changes to packages or build scripts.

However the developer's manual should be updated to discuss bootstrapping.

There is a ticket for improvements to this manual -
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29784 - which needs help.