On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 4:50 PM Matthias Koeppe <matthiaskoe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 9:09:45 PM UTC-7 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>
>> [Matthias'] Item #2 happened, incidentally, only because we've copy &
>> pasted so
>> many packages into sage pretending to be a linux distribution.
>> Eliminating that problem altogether begins right here, at the root of
>> the dependency tree.
>

> In another post:
>
> > [Matthias's items] 2, 4, 6, and 7 are addressed by Conda, Nix, Guix,
> Homebrew, or even
> > Gentoo Prefix. These projects *want* to build entire distributions that
> > run out of your home directory.
>
> These two comments together really are the crux of the discussion.
>
> If we say that availability of gfortran in any of these user-installable
> distributions is the solution, then this applies to lots of other spkgs as
> well --- perhaps to ALL of our non-Python packages.
>
> So essentially it is to say, let's stop maintaining the Sage distribution.

Sage "distribution" is what's in build/ (and in upstream/). Many packages
don't need to be vendored, like we stopped vendoring tar, and we can stop
vendoring patch, gcc, gfortran, python3, and few other packages, very
easily.

Of course these scripts still need to be maintained, so that's not "let's
stop maintaining", it's "let's stop vendoring".