I moved discussion to sage-devel, but wanted to add for anyone who comes
across this and has problems: my simple temporary workaround is to change
the line

paristack_setsize(size, mem.virtual_memory_limit() // 4)

paristack_setsize(size, min(mem.virtual_memory_limit() // 4, 1000000000))

in the file src/sage/libs/pari/pari_instance.pyx. (And then run sage -b.)