>From reading what you've sent, I guess that what you have in mind is
calling mmap with PROT_NONE and then calling mprotect() to change that to
read/write whenever growing the stack? That seems like it might be a
reasonable thing to do (though I'm only basing that on spending a few
minutes reading what you sent, not from any actual knowledge that I had
before).

I'm willing to devote some time (not today) to figuring out what the right
thing to do is (maybe the above is already the right thing) / implementing
this / reviewing this.