Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Tomasz W. Kozlowski
Oliver Keyes wrote: I would disagree that the scale does not match. I'm not sure how many people the fundraising banners reach, but I imagine it's a subset of people who use wikipedia. Almost /all/ of our external links are going to be linking to somewhere with a non-compliant privacy policy.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Ryan Lane
A few clarifications inline. On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Victor Grigas vgri...@wikimedia.orgwrote: On the fundraising team we had used banners to host still images (.jpgs) in the past. We wanted to make a video we could put into banners but in July 2012 there was no open source HTML5

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Tilman Bayer
I'd like to hijack this thread a bit to advertise https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:YouTube_files , for cases when one sees a freely licensed video on YouTube that ought to be on Commons too. With WebM available both on YouTube (as one of several download formats, for many videos) and on

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Steven Walling
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Victor Grigas vgri...@wikimedia.orgwrote: In my view, this whole argument would provide reason to: 1.) Only use a third party video option sparingly, as-needed until there are better open-source video options to use. 2.) Put more resources into open source

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread K. Peachey
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) nemow...@gmail.com wrote: The fundraising team is very careful about making banners that the editors don't notice. Trying to check how the banners are doing is like playing hide and seek, and only a true masochist would do so given how

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Bjoern Hoehrmann
* Tomasz W. Kozlowski wrote: it came to my attention very recently that a link to a YouTube video has been included in our fundraising banners[1] last year, enabling people by default to watch a video about Wikipedia loaded through a YouTube iframe / element. I am told that there are technical

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Ziko van Dijk
Dear Victor, Thank you for the great explanation. I myself have often experienced problems with the videos on Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons, especially on a mobile device. So if youtube makes it (realistically) possible that people can our videos, I am fine with that. You pointed out rightly

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Bence Damokos
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski tom...@twkozlowski.net wrote: However, as you correctly write, that banner only served those millions of our viewers a cached image that was uploaded to donate.wm.org (so it was cached the usual way) and /only/ if they had clicked the play

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Victor Grigas
On Jul 17, 2013, at 6:50 AM, Bence Damokos bdamo...@gmail.com wrote: On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski tom...@twkozlowski.net wrote: However, as you correctly write, that banner only served those millions of our viewers a cached image that was uploaded to donate.wm.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Bence Damokos
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski tom...@twkozlowski.net wrote: Victor Grigas wrote: This was because much of the material surrounding the video was written in English, and there was a lot of it, so translation would have been slow, expensive and prone to error.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Victor Grigas
On Jul 17, 2013, at 8:48 AM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski tom...@twkozlowski.net wrote: Victor Grigas wrote: This was because much of the material surrounding the video was written in English, and there was a lot of it, so translation would have been slow, expensive and prone to error.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Tomasz W. Kozlowski
Bence Damokos wrote: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1714329?hl=en Note that just active views will be counted and that it won’t include views from videos set to autoplay. The video that was included in the banners was not set to autoplay, so I can hardly see your point.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-17 Thread Tomasz W. Kozlowski
Victor Grigas wrote: This was because much of the material surrounding the video was written in English, and there was a lot of it, so translation would have been slow, expensive and prone to error. That's what community translations are perfect for; they are free (in terms of licence) and

[Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-16 Thread Tomasz W. Kozlowski
Hi, it came to my attention very recently that a link to a YouTube video has been included in our fundraising banners[1] last year, enabling people by default to watch a video about Wikipedia loaded through a YouTube iframe / element. There's been a small discussion about this on IRC, and

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-16 Thread Oliver Keyes
From what I understand the technical limitations are actually real; mostly they operate around throwing the number of donors (or potential donors) we get at the video. (Having said that, I'm neither opsen nor fundraising, and will promptly cram it. But: to the best of my knowledge there is a lot

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-16 Thread Fajro
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski tom...@twkozlowski.net wrote: (such as their IP address) to an external website (because no one's going to read the small information about YouTube privacy policy). Except for the good people of tosdr.org: http://tosdr.org/#youtube

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-16 Thread James Alexander
Also, why the Wikimedia shop uses Shopify.com instead of the many FOSS alternatives? http://shop.wikimedia.org/ I have transitioned away from the shop (it's now moving to the fundraising team) so the future of that is in their hands but I can say that the biggest thing was that the FOSS

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-16 Thread Oliver Keyes
On 17 July 2013 04:12, Fajro fai...@gmail.com wrote: Youtube does not need free advertising on Wikipedia. To be frank,[1] youtube has twice our annual unique visitors every /month/. I would agree: they don't need advertising. [1] my apologies to Frank - I'll be Oliver from hereonin --

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-16 Thread Victor Grigas
Hi Tomasz everyone else, I think it's appropriate I respond to this issue, since it was the video that I directed that was used in the campaign last year that you talk about. So last year at Wikimania in Washington D.C. (July 2012) my team conducted a series of interviews with around 100

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-16 Thread Philippe Beaudette
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Victor Grigas vgri...@wikimedia.orgwrote: My thanks to everyone who made it happen - we actually had a player that would work on many (but not all) devices and it had the added benefit of open source closed captions, which I had never seen anywhere else. It

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

2013-07-16 Thread Tomasz W. Kozlowski
Hi Victor, thanks for your e-mail, I does indeed provide a lot of valuable background information! I'm being told that the technical limitations I mentioned in my opening e-mail are somehow related to Squid and Varnish (the caching software we use) and our infrastructure being unable to