Hi Maxim,

In the graph from my previous mail, normal_main is the DNA base pair
adenine:thymine. The identical simulation with Grid Cell Sampling turned
on is displayed by gridcell_main. So you might also try to use
Gridcellsampling to further reduce the max. tot. forces, because your
MeshCutoff with 800 Ry is pretty large already for my experience.

Maybe a few others, who simulate a similar system to yours have a few
further ideas, because my system consists of isolated molecules only :-)
I also never played with the MD.MaxCGDispl or DM.Tolerance.

Best wishes,
Frank

On 11/25/2013 09:28 AM, Максим Арсентьев wrote:
> Sorry for my sluggishness - the picture above vise versa - it seems
> that higher MD.MaxCGDispl gives higher forces, but maybe they will
> decrease faster...
> Also my MeshCutoff is already 800 because of Ce
>
> Best wishes, Maxim.
>
>
> 2013/11/25 Максим Арсентьев <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>>
>
>      Dear Frank!
>
>     It seems for "normal_main" that you never reach 0.04 eV/Angstrom.
>     How to fix that?
>     And here is mt result (seems that MD.MaxCGDispl 0.15 Ang and
>     DM.Tolerance 0.00001 behave better).
>
>     Best wishes, Maxim.
>
>
>     2013/11/22 <[email protected]
>     <mailto:[email protected]>>
>
>         A fluctuation in max. forces is normal. Attached is a max.
>         force graph of
>         a few CG geometry optimizations I did of isolated molecules.
>
>         Further details are in the following PDF: (keyword EggBox Effect)
>         http://www.home.uni-osnabrueck.de/apostnik/Lectures/SIESTA-tuto.pdf
>
>         So the lower the max. force is, the less CG steps are required
>         in my
>         experience and only then can you achieve low MD.MaxForceTol
>         values.
>
>         To reduce the max. forces you have to increase the finess of
>         the real
>         space grid, by either increasing the MeshCutOff value or
>         making use of
>         GridCellSampling:
>         
> http://departments.icmab.es/leem/siesta/Documentation/Manuals/siesta-3.1-manual/node47.html
>
>
>         Best wishes,
>         Frank
>
>
>         > I'm doing geometry optimisation if I correctly set it (as I
>         understand
>         > it's
>         > by default)
>         >
>         > Best Wishes, Maxim.
>         >
>         >
>         > 2013/11/22 Herbert Fruchtl <[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>>
>         >
>         >> Just to clarify: You are doing MD, not a geometry
>         optimisation, and you
>         >> are surprised that the forces don't go to zero? What are
>         you trying to
>         >> find? For a minimum energy structure, you need a geometry
>         optimisation.
>         >> In
>         >> an MD simulation the total (potential+kinetic) energy
>         should remain
>         >> constant (depending on your ensemble...), but the forces
>         will vary.
>         >>
>         >>   Herbert
>         >>
>         >>
>         >> On 22/11/2013 08:58, Максим Арсентьев wrote:
>         >>
>         >>>   Dear Sebastian!
>         >>>
>         >>> My calculations convverge at each MD cycle (about 300-400
>         SCF cycles),
>         >>> but max force oscillate (about 0.1-0.04 eV/anstrom) and I
>         can not
>         >>> finish
>         >>> MD, and am already at 63 cycle and the calculation cycle
>         is still
>         >>> going,
>         >>> although the system is quite large and contains 47 atoms.
>         My counter
>         >>> question to all: does this oscillation of forces normal?
>         >>> I would like to strict DM.Tolerance to 0.00001 (it is VERY
>         important to
>         >>> accurate calculation of forces) and to limit MD.MaxCGDispl .
>         >>>
>         >>>   Best Wishes,
>         >>>   Maxim
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>> 2013/11/21 Sebastian Caicedo Davila
>         >>> <[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>
>         >>> <mailto:[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>>>
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>>     Hello Diana!!
>         >>>
>         >>>     Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I'll give it a try
>         and maybe I'll
>         >>>     be bothering you again, if it is not an imposition, of
>         course.
>         >>>
>         >>>     Gracias de nuevo, y saludos desde tu tierra!
>         >>>
>         >>>     Sebastian Caicedo Davila
>         >>>     Bionanoelectronics Research Group
>         >>>     School of electrical and electronics engineering
>         >>>     Universidad del Valle
>         >>>     Cali - Colombia.
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>>     On Nov 21, 2013, at 11:02 AM, <[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>
>         >>>     <mailto:[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>>> <[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>
>         >>>     <mailto:[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>         >>>
>         >>>      Hello Sebastian,
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     I have had similar problems with convergence of the
>         scf cycle.
>         >>>>     They were solved when I changed from Pulay mixing to
>         Broyden
>         >>>>     mixing for the charge density.
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     Usually if something doesn't converge in 250 cycles,
>         it probably
>         >>>>     never will. Also you can play with the DM.Tolerance.
>         For very
>         >>>>     difficult systems I set it to 0.0008 and then restart
>         from that DM
>         >>>>     file with a stringer convergence criterion.
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     Here is the settings I am using for my calculations:
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     #--------------------Convergence of
>         SCF---------------------------
>         >>>> ----
>         >>>>     MeshCutoff               200.0 Ry      # Default
>         value PW cutoff
>         >>>>     for grid
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     MaxSCFIterations        250              # Maximum
>         number of SCF
>         >>>> iter
>         >>>>     DM.NumberBroyden        3
>         >>>>     DM.MixingWeight         0.01             # New DM
>         amount for next
>         >>>>     SCF cycle
>         >>>>     DM.Tolerance            0.0001           # Tolerance
>         in maximum
>         >>>>     difference
>         >>>>     DM.UseSaveDM            .false.          # to use
>         continuation
>         >>>> files
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     DM.NumberKick                  100
>         >>>>     DM.KickMixingWeight            0.01
>         >>>>     #----------------------------------
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     Suerte!
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     PS: yo tambien soy caleña!
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     Diana M. Otálvaro
>         >>>>     PhD Candidate
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     Computational Material Science
>         >>>>     MESA+ Institute of Nanotechnology
>         >>>>     University of Twente.
>         >>>>     Enschede, Nederland
>         >>>>    
>         ------------------------------------------------------------
>         >>>> ------------
>         >>>>     *From:*[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>
>         <mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
>         >>>>     [[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>
>         <mailto:[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>>] on
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     behalf of Максим Арсентьев [[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>
>         >>>>     <mailto:[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>>]
>         >>>>     *Sent:*Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:29 AM
>         >>>>     *To:*[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
>         <mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
>         >>>>     *Subject:*Re: [SIESTA-L] Convergence problem on
>         heterostructure.
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     I forgot to tell you - besides DM.MixingWeight 0.05 I
>         also set
>         >>>>     PAO.EnergyShift to 65 meV as
>         >>>>     herehttp://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v7/n9/extref/
>         <http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v7/n9/extref/>
>         >>>> nnano.2012.127-s2.txt .
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     Best wishes,
>         >>>>     Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>         >>>>     Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>         >>>>     Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     2013/11/18 Mahmoud Hammouri<[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]> <mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>>         You could also try to increase the
>         non-equilibrium contour
>         >>>> points.
>         >>>>
>         >>>>         Mahmoud
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>>         On Nov 18, 2013, at 11:22, "Sebastián Cauce do
>         Dávila"
>         >>>>         <[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>
>         >>>>         <mailto:[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>         >>>>
>         >>>>          Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will
>         give it a
>         >>>> try!
>         >>>>>
>         >>>>>         Sebastián Caicedo Dávila
>         >>>>>         Bionanoelectronics research group
>         >>>>>         School of electrical and electronics engineering
>         >>>>>         Universidad del Valle
>         >>>>>         Cali - Colombia
>         >>>>>
>         >>>>>
>         >>>>>         On 18/11/2013, at 11:50, Максим Арсентьев
>         >>>>>         <[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]> <mailto:[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>>> wrote:
>         >>>>>
>         >>>>>          I also try some siesta only six months, but for
>         a more
>         >>>>>>         heterogeneous structure I noticed that the
>         reduction
>         >>>>>>         DM.MixingWeight reduces oscillations in
>         convergence, so try
>         >>>>>>         to play with it (decrease DM.MixingWeight). See
>         >>>>>>        
>         http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v7/n9/extref/nnano.
>         >>>>>> 2012.127-s2.txt
>         >>>>>>         Maybe someone will tell something else.
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>         2013/11/18 Sebastian Caicedo
>         >>>>>>         D.<[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>
>         >>>>>>         <mailto:[email protected]
>         <mailto:[email protected]>>>
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>             Dear Siesta/Transiesta users,
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>             I've been using the software for a couple
>         months and
>         >>>>>>             made some calculations of InAs and InP unit
>         cell quite
>         >>>>>>             successfully. Now I intend to work on
>         transiesta
>         >>>>>>             calculations of a heterostructure of both these
>         >>>>>>             materials (InAs bulk with InP barriers). As
>         a first
>         >>>>>>             approach I want to simulate a couple of
>         InAs unit cells
>         >>>>>>             and the barriers shall be unit cells of
>         InP, just to get
>         >>>>>>             a qualitative idea. The electrodes .TSHS
>         files were
>         >>>>>>             obtained from the previous calculations of
>         the InAs unit
>         >>>>>>             cell. I wanted first to run a siesta
>         calculation of the
>         >>>>>>             whole heterostructure, so I can take a look
>         at the
>         >>>>>>             eigenvalues and define a correct value for
>         the parameter
>         >>>>>>             TS.ComplexContour.Emin, as suggested in the
>         manual.
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>             The structure has 120 atoms and I'm using LDA
>         >>>>>>             Pseudopotentials, obtained from the siesta
>         webpage. (In
>         >>>>>>             Pseudo includes semicore electrons, so we
>         have enough
>         >>>>>>             electrons to build a zinc-blende
>         structure). The issue
>         >>>>>>             is that after 1000 SCF steps, the energy
>         doesn't
>         >>>>>>             converge at all. I'm doing a Gamma-point
>         calculation,
>         >>>>>>             but even when I make the k-grid 1x1x15 it
>         doesn't work
>         >>>>>>             either.
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>             I used the same MeshCutoff as for the
>         individual
>         >>>>>>             materials unit cell an 200Ry and I
>         increased the Energy
>         >>>>>>             Shift, so the calculation would be a bit
>         faster though
>         >>>>>>             less precise.
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>             I attach the Input (INPUT.fdf,
>         STRUCTURE.fdf) and output
>         >>>>>>             files.
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>             I would really appreciate any suggestions.
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>             sincerely
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>             Sebastian Caicedo Davila
>         >>>>>>             Bionanoelectronics Group
>         >>>>>>             School of Electrical and Electronics
>         Engineering
>         >>>>>>             Universidad del Valle
>         >>>>>>             Cali-Colombia
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>>         --
>         >>>>>>         Best wishes,
>         >>>>>>         Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>         >>>>>>         Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>         >>>>>>         Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>         >>>>>>
>         >>>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>>     --
>         >>>>     Best wishes,
>         >>>>     Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>         >>>>     Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>         >>>>     Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>         >>>>
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>> --
>         >>> Best wishes,
>         >>> Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>         >>> Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>         >>> Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>         >>>
>         >>
>         >>
>         >> --
>         >> Herbert Fruchtl
>         >> Senior Scientific Computing Officer
>         >> School of Chemistry, School of Mathematics and Statistics
>         >> University of St Andrews
>         >> --
>         >> The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in
>         Scotland:
>         >> No SC013532
>         >>
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         > --
>         > Best wishes,
>         > Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>         > Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>         > Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>         >
>
>
>
>
>     -- 
>     Best wishes,
>     Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>     Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>     Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> Best wishes,
> Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
> Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
> Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS

Responder a