I'm doing geometry optimisation if I correctly set it (as I understand it's
by default)

Best Wishes, Maxim.


2013/11/22 Herbert Fruchtl <[email protected]>

> Just to clarify: You are doing MD, not a geometry optimisation, and you
> are surprised that the forces don't go to zero? What are you trying to
> find? For a minimum energy structure, you need a geometry optimisation. In
> an MD simulation the total (potential+kinetic) energy should remain
> constant (depending on your ensemble...), but the forces will vary.
>
>   Herbert
>
>
> On 22/11/2013 08:58, Максим Арсентьев wrote:
>
>>   Dear Sebastian!
>>
>> My calculations convverge at each MD cycle (about 300-400 SCF cycles),
>> but max force oscillate (about 0.1-0.04 eV/anstrom) and I can not finish
>> MD, and am already at 63 cycle and the calculation cycle is still going,
>> although the system is quite large and contains 47 atoms. My counter
>> question to all: does this oscillation of forces normal?
>> I would like to strict DM.Tolerance to 0.00001 (it is VERY important to
>> accurate calculation of forces) and to limit MD.MaxCGDispl .
>>
>>   Best Wishes,
>>   Maxim
>>
>>
>> 2013/11/21 Sebastian Caicedo Davila
>> <[email protected]
>> <mailto:[email protected]>>
>>
>>
>>     Hello Diana!!
>>
>>     Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I'll give it a try and maybe I'll
>>     be bothering you again, if it is not an imposition, of course.
>>
>>     Gracias de nuevo, y saludos desde tu tierra!
>>
>>     Sebastian Caicedo Davila
>>     Bionanoelectronics Research Group
>>     School of electrical and electronics engineering
>>     Universidad del Valle
>>     Cali - Colombia.
>>
>>
>>
>>     On Nov 21, 2013, at 11:02 AM, <[email protected]
>>     <mailto:[email protected]>> <[email protected]
>>     <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>
>>      Hello Sebastian,
>>>
>>>     I have had similar problems with convergence of the scf cycle.
>>>     They were solved when I changed from Pulay mixing to Broyden
>>>     mixing for the charge density.
>>>
>>>     Usually if something doesn't converge in 250 cycles, it probably
>>>     never will. Also you can play with the DM.Tolerance. For very
>>>     difficult systems I set it to 0.0008 and then restart from that DM
>>>     file with a stringer convergence criterion.
>>>
>>>     Here is the settings I am using for my calculations:
>>>
>>>     #--------------------Convergence of SCF---------------------------
>>> ----
>>>     MeshCutoff               200.0 Ry      # Default value PW cutoff
>>>     for grid
>>>
>>>
>>>     MaxSCFIterations        250              # Maximum number of SCF iter
>>>     DM.NumberBroyden        3
>>>     DM.MixingWeight         0.01             # New DM amount for next
>>>     SCF cycle
>>>     DM.Tolerance            0.0001           # Tolerance in maximum
>>>     difference
>>>     DM.UseSaveDM            .false.          # to use continuation files
>>>
>>>     DM.NumberKick                  100
>>>     DM.KickMixingWeight            0.01
>>>     #----------------------------------
>>>
>>>     Suerte!
>>>
>>>     PS: yo tambien soy caleña!
>>>
>>>     Diana M. Otálvaro
>>>     PhD Candidate
>>>
>>>     Computational Material Science
>>>     MESA+ Institute of Nanotechnology
>>>     University of Twente.
>>>     Enschede, Nederland
>>>     ------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ------------
>>>     *From:*[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
>>>     [[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>] on
>>>
>>>     behalf of Максим Арсентьев [[email protected]
>>>     <mailto:[email protected]>]
>>>     *Sent:*Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:29 AM
>>>     *To:*[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
>>>     *Subject:*Re: [SIESTA-L] Convergence problem on heterostructure.
>>>
>>>
>>>     I forgot to tell you - besides DM.MixingWeight 0.05 I also set
>>>     PAO.EnergyShift to 65 meV as
>>>     herehttp://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v7/n9/extref/
>>> nnano.2012.127-s2.txt .
>>>
>>>
>>>     Best wishes,
>>>     Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>>>     Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>>>     Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>>>
>>>
>>>     2013/11/18 Mahmoud Hammouri<[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
>>>
>>>
>>>         You could also try to increase the non-equilibrium contour
>>> points.
>>>
>>>         Mahmoud
>>>
>>>
>>>         On Nov 18, 2013, at 11:22, "Sebastián Cauce do Dávila"
>>>         <[email protected]
>>>         <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>          Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will give it a try!
>>>>
>>>>         Sebastián Caicedo Dávila
>>>>         Bionanoelectronics research group
>>>>         School of electrical and electronics engineering
>>>>         Universidad del Valle
>>>>         Cali - Colombia
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>         On 18/11/2013, at 11:50, Максим Арсентьев
>>>>         <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>          I also try some siesta only six months, but for a more
>>>>>         heterogeneous structure I noticed that the reduction
>>>>>         DM.MixingWeight reduces oscillations in convergence, so try
>>>>>         to play with it (decrease DM.MixingWeight). See
>>>>>         http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v7/n9/extref/nnano.
>>>>> 2012.127-s2.txt
>>>>>         Maybe someone will tell something else.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>         2013/11/18 Sebastian Caicedo
>>>>>         D.<[email protected]
>>>>>         <mailto:[email protected]>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>             Dear Siesta/Transiesta users,
>>>>>
>>>>>             I've been using the software for a couple months and
>>>>>             made some calculations of InAs and InP unit cell quite
>>>>>             successfully. Now I intend to work on transiesta
>>>>>             calculations of a heterostructure of both these
>>>>>             materials (InAs bulk with InP barriers). As a first
>>>>>             approach I want to simulate a couple of InAs unit cells
>>>>>             and the barriers shall be unit cells of InP, just to get
>>>>>             a qualitative idea. The electrodes .TSHS files were
>>>>>             obtained from the previous calculations of the InAs unit
>>>>>             cell. I wanted first to run a siesta calculation of the
>>>>>             whole heterostructure, so I can take a look at the
>>>>>             eigenvalues and define a correct value for the parameter
>>>>>             TS.ComplexContour.Emin, as suggested in the manual.
>>>>>
>>>>>             The structure has 120 atoms and I'm using LDA
>>>>>             Pseudopotentials, obtained from the siesta webpage. (In
>>>>>             Pseudo includes semicore electrons, so we have enough
>>>>>             electrons to build a zinc-blende structure). The issue
>>>>>             is that after 1000 SCF steps, the energy doesn't
>>>>>             converge at all. I'm doing a Gamma-point calculation,
>>>>>             but even when I make the k-grid 1x1x15 it doesn't work
>>>>>             either.
>>>>>
>>>>>             I used the same MeshCutoff as for the individual
>>>>>             materials unit cell an 200Ry and I increased the Energy
>>>>>             Shift, so the calculation would be a bit faster though
>>>>>             less precise.
>>>>>
>>>>>             I attach the Input (INPUT.fdf, STRUCTURE.fdf) and output
>>>>>             files.
>>>>>
>>>>>             I would really appreciate any suggestions.
>>>>>
>>>>>             sincerely
>>>>>
>>>>>             Sebastian Caicedo Davila
>>>>>             Bionanoelectronics Group
>>>>>             School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
>>>>>             Universidad del Valle
>>>>>             Cali-Colombia
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>         --
>>>>>         Best wishes,
>>>>>         Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>>>>>         Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>>>>>         Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>     --
>>>     Best wishes,
>>>     Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>>>     Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>>>     Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Best wishes,
>> Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>> Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>> Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>>
>
>
> --
> Herbert Fruchtl
> Senior Scientific Computing Officer
> School of Chemistry, School of Mathematics and Statistics
> University of St Andrews
> --
> The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland:
> No SC013532
>



-- 
Best wishes,
Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS

Responder a