Dear Frank!

Thank you, your advice was helpful - I now examine the behavior of
different GridCellSampling. And to select correct parameters for the
geometry optimization in my case I found an article with similar studies of
CeO2 solid solutions (due to low defect concentration limit they performed
only internal optimization with parameters equal that of purre CeO2).
http://www.pnas.org/content/103/10/3518.full

Best wishes,
Maxim


2013/11/25 Frank Maier <[email protected]>

>  Hi Maxim,
>
> In the graph from my previous mail, normal_main is the DNA base pair
> adenine:thymine. The identical simulation with Grid Cell Sampling turned on
> is displayed by gridcell_main. So you might also try to use
> Gridcellsampling to further reduce the max. tot. forces, because your
> MeshCutoff with 800 Ry is pretty large already for my experience.
>
> Maybe a few others, who simulate a similar system to yours have a few
> further ideas, because my system consists of isolated molecules only :-) I
> also never played with the MD.MaxCGDispl or DM.Tolerance.
>
> Best wishes,
> Frank
>
>
> On 11/25/2013 09:28 AM, Максим Арсентьев wrote:
>
>  Sorry for my sluggishness - the picture above vise versa - it seems that
> higher MD.MaxCGDispl gives higher forces, but maybe they will decrease
> faster...
> Also my MeshCutoff is already 800 because of Ce
>
>  Best wishes, Maxim.
>
>
> 2013/11/25 Максим Арсентьев <[email protected]>
>
>>  Dear Frank!
>>
>>  It seems for "normal_main" that you never reach 0.04 eV/Angstrom. How
>> to fix that?
>> And here is mt result (seems that MD.MaxCGDispl 0.15 Ang and
>> DM.Tolerance 0.00001 behave better).
>>
>>  Best wishes, Maxim.
>>
>>
>> 2013/11/22 <[email protected]>
>>
>>  A fluctuation in max. forces is normal. Attached is a max. force graph of
>>> a few CG geometry optimizations I did of isolated molecules.
>>>
>>> Further details are in the following PDF: (keyword EggBox Effect)
>>> http://www.home.uni-osnabrueck.de/apostnik/Lectures/SIESTA-tuto.pdf
>>>
>>> So the lower the max. force is, the less CG steps are required in my
>>> experience and only then can you achieve low MD.MaxForceTol values.
>>>
>>> To reduce the max. forces you have to increase the finess of the real
>>> space grid, by either increasing the MeshCutOff value or making use of
>>> GridCellSampling:
>>>
>>> http://departments.icmab.es/leem/siesta/Documentation/Manuals/siesta-3.1-manual/node47.html
>>>
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Frank
>>>
>>>
>>> > I'm doing geometry optimisation if I correctly set it (as I understand
>>> > it's
>>> > by default)
>>> >
>>> > Best Wishes, Maxim.
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > 2013/11/22 Herbert Fruchtl <[email protected]>
>>> >
>>> >> Just to clarify: You are doing MD, not a geometry optimisation, and
>>> you
>>> >> are surprised that the forces don't go to zero? What are you trying to
>>> >> find? For a minimum energy structure, you need a geometry
>>> optimisation.
>>> >> In
>>> >> an MD simulation the total (potential+kinetic) energy should remain
>>> >> constant (depending on your ensemble...), but the forces will vary.
>>> >>
>>> >>   Herbert
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >> On 22/11/2013 08:58, Максим Арсентьев wrote:
>>> >>
>>> >>>   Dear Sebastian!
>>> >>>
>>> >>> My calculations convverge at each MD cycle (about 300-400 SCF
>>> cycles),
>>> >>> but max force oscillate (about 0.1-0.04 eV/anstrom) and I can not
>>> >>> finish
>>> >>> MD, and am already at 63 cycle and the calculation cycle is still
>>> >>> going,
>>> >>> although the system is quite large and contains 47 atoms. My counter
>>> >>> question to all: does this oscillation of forces normal?
>>> >>> I would like to strict DM.Tolerance to 0.00001 (it is VERY important
>>> to
>>> >>> accurate calculation of forces) and to limit MD.MaxCGDispl .
>>> >>>
>>> >>>   Best Wishes,
>>> >>>   Maxim
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>> 2013/11/21 Sebastian Caicedo Davila
>>> >>> <[email protected]
>>> >>> <mailto:[email protected]>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>>     Hello Diana!!
>>> >>>
>>> >>>     Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I'll give it a try and maybe
>>> I'll
>>> >>>     be bothering you again, if it is not an imposition, of course.
>>> >>>
>>> >>>     Gracias de nuevo, y saludos desde tu tierra!
>>> >>>
>>> >>>     Sebastian Caicedo Davila
>>> >>>     Bionanoelectronics Research Group
>>> >>>     School of electrical and electronics engineering
>>> >>>     Universidad del Valle
>>> >>>     Cali - Colombia.
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>>     On Nov 21, 2013, at 11:02 AM, <[email protected]
>>> >>>     <mailto:[email protected]>> <[email protected]
>>> >>>     <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>> >>>
>>> >>>      Hello Sebastian,
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     I have had similar problems with convergence of the scf cycle.
>>> >>>>     They were solved when I changed from Pulay mixing to Broyden
>>> >>>>     mixing for the charge density.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     Usually if something doesn't converge in 250 cycles, it probably
>>> >>>>     never will. Also you can play with the DM.Tolerance. For very
>>> >>>>     difficult systems I set it to 0.0008 and then restart from that
>>> DM
>>> >>>>     file with a stringer convergence criterion.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     Here is the settings I am using for my calculations:
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     #--------------------Convergence of
>>> SCF---------------------------
>>> >>>> ----
>>> >>>>     MeshCutoff               200.0 Ry      # Default value PW cutoff
>>> >>>>     for grid
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     MaxSCFIterations        250              # Maximum number of SCF
>>> >>>> iter
>>> >>>>     DM.NumberBroyden        3
>>> >>>>     DM.MixingWeight         0.01             # New DM amount for
>>> next
>>> >>>>     SCF cycle
>>> >>>>     DM.Tolerance            0.0001           # Tolerance in maximum
>>> >>>>     difference
>>> >>>>     DM.UseSaveDM            .false.          # to use continuation
>>> >>>> files
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     DM.NumberKick                  100
>>> >>>>     DM.KickMixingWeight            0.01
>>> >>>>     #----------------------------------
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     Suerte!
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     PS: yo tambien soy caleña!
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     Diana M. Otálvaro
>>> >>>>     PhD Candidate
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     Computational Material Science
>>> >>>>     MESA+ Institute of Nanotechnology
>>> >>>>     University of Twente.
>>> >>>>     Enschede, Nederland
>>> >>>>     ------------------------------------------------------------
>>> >>>> ------------
>>> >>>>     *From:*[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
>>> >>>>     [[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>] on
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     behalf of Максим Арсентьев [[email protected]
>>> >>>>     <mailto:[email protected]>]
>>> >>>>     *Sent:*Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:29 AM
>>> >>>>     *To:*[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
>>> >>>>     *Subject:*Re: [SIESTA-L] Convergence problem on heterostructure.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     I forgot to tell you - besides DM.MixingWeight 0.05 I also set
>>> >>>>     PAO.EnergyShift to 65 meV as
>>> >>>>     herehttp://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v7/n9/extref/
>>> >>>> nnano.2012.127-s2.txt .
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     Best wishes,
>>> >>>>     Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>>> >>>>     Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>>> >>>>     Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     2013/11/18 Mahmoud Hammouri<[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>         You could also try to increase the non-equilibrium contour
>>> >>>> points.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>         Mahmoud
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>         On Nov 18, 2013, at 11:22, "Sebastián Cauce do Dávila"
>>> >>>>         <[email protected]
>>> >>>>         <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>          Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will give it a
>>> >>>> try!
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>>         Sebastián Caicedo Dávila
>>> >>>>>         Bionanoelectronics research group
>>> >>>>>         School of electrical and electronics engineering
>>> >>>>>         Universidad del Valle
>>> >>>>>         Cali - Colombia
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>>         On 18/11/2013, at 11:50, Максим Арсентьев
>>> >>>>>         <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
>>> wrote:
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>>          I also try some siesta only six months, but for a more
>>> >>>>>>         heterogeneous structure I noticed that the reduction
>>> >>>>>>         DM.MixingWeight reduces oscillations in convergence, so
>>> try
>>> >>>>>>         to play with it (decrease DM.MixingWeight). See
>>> >>>>>>         http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v7/n9/extref/nnano.
>>> >>>>>> 2012.127-s2.txt
>>> >>>>>>         Maybe someone will tell something else.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>         2013/11/18 Sebastian Caicedo
>>> >>>>>>         D.<[email protected]
>>> >>>>>>         <mailto:[email protected]>>
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>             Dear Siesta/Transiesta users,
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>             I've been using the software for a couple months and
>>> >>>>>>             made some calculations of InAs and InP unit cell quite
>>> >>>>>>             successfully. Now I intend to work on transiesta
>>> >>>>>>             calculations of a heterostructure of both these
>>> >>>>>>             materials (InAs bulk with InP barriers). As a first
>>> >>>>>>             approach I want to simulate a couple of InAs unit
>>> cells
>>> >>>>>>             and the barriers shall be unit cells of InP, just to
>>> get
>>> >>>>>>             a qualitative idea. The electrodes .TSHS files were
>>> >>>>>>             obtained from the previous calculations of the InAs
>>> unit
>>> >>>>>>             cell. I wanted first to run a siesta calculation of
>>> the
>>> >>>>>>             whole heterostructure, so I can take a look at the
>>> >>>>>>             eigenvalues and define a correct value for the
>>> parameter
>>> >>>>>>             TS.ComplexContour.Emin, as suggested in the manual.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>             The structure has 120 atoms and I'm using LDA
>>> >>>>>>             Pseudopotentials, obtained from the siesta webpage.
>>> (In
>>> >>>>>>             Pseudo includes semicore electrons, so we have enough
>>> >>>>>>             electrons to build a zinc-blende structure). The issue
>>> >>>>>>             is that after 1000 SCF steps, the energy doesn't
>>> >>>>>>             converge at all. I'm doing a Gamma-point calculation,
>>> >>>>>>             but even when I make the k-grid 1x1x15 it doesn't work
>>> >>>>>>             either.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>             I used the same MeshCutoff as for the individual
>>> >>>>>>             materials unit cell an 200Ry and I increased the
>>> Energy
>>> >>>>>>             Shift, so the calculation would be a bit faster though
>>> >>>>>>             less precise.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>             I attach the Input (INPUT.fdf, STRUCTURE.fdf) and
>>> output
>>> >>>>>>             files.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>             I would really appreciate any suggestions.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>             sincerely
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>             Sebastian Caicedo Davila
>>> >>>>>>             Bionanoelectronics Group
>>> >>>>>>             School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
>>> >>>>>>             Universidad del Valle
>>> >>>>>>             Cali-Colombia
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>         --
>>> >>>>>>         Best wishes,
>>> >>>>>>         Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>>> >>>>>>         Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>>> >>>>>>         Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>     --
>>> >>>>     Best wishes,
>>> >>>>     Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>>> >>>>     Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>>> >>>>     Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>> --
>>> >>> Best wishes,
>>> >>> Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>>> >>> Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>>> >>> Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>>> >>>
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >> --
>>> >> Herbert Fruchtl
>>> >> Senior Scientific Computing Officer
>>> >> School of Chemistry, School of Mathematics and Statistics
>>> >> University of St Andrews
>>> >> --
>>> >> The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland:
>>> >> No SC013532
>>> >>
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > --
>>> > Best wishes,
>>> > Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>>> > Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>>> > Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>>> >
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>  --
>>  Best wishes,
>> Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
>> Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
>> Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>>
>
>
>
>  --
>  Best wishes,
> Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
> Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
> Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS
>
>
>


-- 
Best wishes,
Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS

Responder a