Hello Sebastian,

I have had similar problems with convergence of the scf cycle. They were solved 
when I changed from Pulay mixing to Broyden mixing for the charge density.

Usually if something doesn't converge in 250 cycles, it probably never will. 
Also you can play with the DM.Tolerance. For very difficult systems I set it to 
0.0008 and then restart from that DM file with a stringer convergence criterion.

Here is the settings I am using for my calculations:

#--------------------Convergence of SCF-------------------------------
MeshCutoff               200.0 Ry      # Default value PW cutoff for grid


MaxSCFIterations        250              # Maximum number of SCF iter
DM.NumberBroyden        3
DM.MixingWeight         0.01             # New DM amount for next SCF cycle
DM.Tolerance            0.0001           # Tolerance in maximum difference
DM.UseSaveDM            .false.          # to use continuation files

DM.NumberKick                  100
DM.KickMixingWeight            0.01
#----------------------------------

Suerte!

PS: yo tambien soy caleña!

Diana M. Otálvaro
PhD Candidate

Computational Material Science
MESA+ Institute of Nanotechnology
University of Twente.
Enschede, Nederland
________________________________
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of Максим 
Арсентьев [[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:29 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [SIESTA-L] Convergence problem on heterostructure.

I forgot to tell you - besides DM.MixingWeight 0.05 I also set PAO.EnergyShift 
to 65 meV as here 
http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v7/n9/extref/nnano.2012.127-s2.txt .

Best wishes,
Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS


2013/11/18 Mahmoud Hammouri <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
You could also try to increase the non-equilibrium contour points.

Mahmoud


On Nov 18, 2013, at 11:22, "Sebastián Cauce do Dávila" 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
 wrote:

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will give it a try!

Sebastián Caicedo Dávila
Bionanoelectronics research group
School of electrical and electronics engineering
Universidad del Valle
Cali - Colombia


On 18/11/2013, at 11:50, Максим Арсентьев 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

I also try some siesta only six months, but for a more heterogeneous structure 
I noticed that the reduction DM.MixingWeight reduces oscillations in 
convergence, so try to play with it (decrease DM.MixingWeight). See 
http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v7/n9/extref/nnano.2012.127-s2.txt
Maybe someone will tell something else.


2013/11/18 Sebastian Caicedo D. 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Dear Siesta/Transiesta users,

I've been using the software for a couple months and made some calculations of 
InAs and InP unit cell quite successfully. Now I intend to work on transiesta 
calculations of a heterostructure of both these materials (InAs bulk with InP 
barriers). As a first approach I want to simulate a couple of InAs unit cells 
and the barriers shall be unit cells of InP, just to get a qualitative idea. 
The electrodes .TSHS files were obtained from the previous calculations of the 
InAs unit cell. I wanted first to run a siesta calculation of the whole 
heterostructure, so I can take a look at the eigenvalues and define a correct 
value for the parameter TS.ComplexContour.Emin, as suggested in the manual.

The structure has 120 atoms and I'm using LDA Pseudopotentials, obtained from 
the siesta webpage. (In Pseudo includes semicore electrons, so we have enough 
electrons to build a zinc-blende structure). The issue is that after 1000 SCF 
steps, the energy doesn't converge at all. I'm doing a Gamma-point calculation, 
but even when I make the k-grid 1x1x15 it doesn't work either.

I used the same MeshCutoff as for the individual materials unit cell an 200Ry 
and I increased the Energy Shift, so the calculation would be a bit faster 
though less precise.

I attach the Input (INPUT.fdf, STRUCTURE.fdf) and output files.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

sincerely

Sebastian Caicedo Davila
Bionanoelectronics Group
School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Universidad del Valle
Cali-Colombia



--
Best wishes,
Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS



--
Best wishes,
Dr. Maxim Arsent'ev
Laboratory of inorganic synthesis
Institute of Silicate Chemistry of RAS

Responder a