From: Norton, Steve [mailto:stephen.nor...@ngc.com] Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:23 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: CS>OT: cleaning microwave guts

Kathryn,
I am probably going to horrify some with my recommendation but you can clean your microwave in your bathtub with tap water. The one thing I am not sure of is the magnetron which is mounted on the side or top of the microwave chamber and generates the actual microwaves. It has been sometime since I tore one of those apart but as I recall they are not water tight. I would mask off the magnetron with plastic and tape to keep out water and ammonia. I have cleaned a number of TVs and other electronics with tap water with no problems. Just rinse the cleaning solution off Very Well and Dry Completely before use. Water can be trapped in connectors and so check they are dry inside as well as outside. I find that drying in direct sunlight for a couple or three days is usually enough if the days are warm. Before you open the microwave, let it set for 2 to 3 days unplugged to discharge the capacitors. BTW, TVs also have a high voltage capacitor on the versions with a picture tube.
This is what I would do.
 - Steve