On 10/2/2010 9:01 PM, Neville Munn wrote:
Thanks very much for that Marshall, much appreciated.

On re-reading my comments I did notice two oversights on my part, I forgot about the accuracy % factor in meters, and I overlooked the stupidly simple uS and TDS equivalent or conversion, sorry about that. My constant oversights of the simple and obvious are quite frustrating at times.

A final comment if you will, as your closing comment was significant to a thought which has been rattling around in my head for some time...endothermics.

I've considered for some time that the action of ions colliding in an aqueous solution must generate some form of energy as they break through that energy barrier or Nernst or double layer surrounding the ion, and the result of those impacts could only generate one form of energy...heat. It would not be the actual impact of those ions or particles necessarily which generates energy as positive and negative simply attract as a natural law of unlike poles attracting, but rather it would be the friction created via the *breaking through of that energy barrier* which surrounds the ion. Would that assumption be correct?

In the molecular and atomic world motion and heat are different ways of expressing the same thing. So if you consider something forcing its way through the energy barrier, that takes energy to do so, and the result is a drop in velocity, in some cases to near 0, and a LOSS of heat. That is it would tend to be endothermic.. It would take energy to penetrate the barrier, and the kinetic energy of the particle or molecule would have been converted to potential energy when it does so. Only kinetic energy shows up as heat thus thus this would result in a loss of themal energy..

Marshall