----- Original Message -----
From: "Ode Coyote" <odecoy...@alltel.net>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: CS>re: mold

> Sounds to me like you like to worry yourself to death..which is why you
> need to meditate in the first place?

I don't know how I gave you that impression.
I used to worry, before I got sick, but I don't any more.
I meditate because I like the way I feel when I do, and how I feel
afterwards, and because it is supposed to speed my 'spiritual development'.

>  I used to meditate a lot, till I figured out that it wasn't something I
> had to "do".  It was something I did to relieve the stress over something
> else I was doing. [ie. worrying]  That's kind of like loading a horse to
> slow it down instead of saying "woah".

Now you have really lost me....
If you are worrying you certainly aren't meditating.
By meditating I mean entering a state of consciousness in which the internal
dialogue ceases.
There are various devices, techniques and tricks we can use to get into that
state of consciousness.
I think of meditation as getting the horse to stop.

>  Now, worrying is more like a sport. I still do it because I apparenly
like
> to do it sometimes.  It still doesn't serve any purpose but to get me all
> tied up in myself.  Maybe getting untied just feels good?

Worrying is a habit.
Meditation can help to break that habit.
That's how it seems to me anyway.
A friend of mine once told me he didn't ever worry. He told me that
sometimes he had long discussions with himself that went round and round in
circles, in which he told himself about all sorts of terrible things that
might happen to him in the future, but he didn't worry. When I explained
that the technical term for what he was doing was 'worrying' he was quite
surprised.

>  I know many a couple who argue bitterly over nothing just so they can
make
> up.
> Ode

Maybe they should learn better state management, so they can leave out the
bitter arguing and go straight for the passion!

Paul H