Unfortunatly we don't have 2014 at work, and I'm on win7 at home, but you
can get the sources here:
https://bitbucket.org/ahmidou_lyazidi/al_icons/src

About the benefits, well not that much :)
I was frustrated by the null's icons and the fact that you can't rotate
them, so when the custom primitive came out,
that was an occasion to play with them. Actually I was excpecting a better
performance... but that still OK
The two things I see is it's typed as an Icon, so it's easier and more
robust to filter and you can't accidentaly edit them.

Ahmidou Lyazidi
Director | TD | CG artist
http://vimeo.com/ahmidou/videos
http://www.cappuccino-films.com