It seems this impression has survived the test of time...
This is, AFAIK, outdated. Renderman USED to be like that, but from what I hear
(since I haven't used it), Pixar has invested quite a bit in the usability
department in the past few years, so it seems to be closer to what other
renderers offer out-of-the-box. This is what I hear, at least.

Sergio MuciƱo.
Sent from my iPad.