Hi Eric:

No worries, I love being able to be corrected and learn more if I am mistaken over stuff! Although I hope I'm not going too much off on a tangent considering this is the XSI mailing list :P

- Shaderforge (or strumpy, whatever you prefer) is more or less essential imho , especially for prototyping stuff to see if it's even the right path to take (plus it's a nice way to have easy access to cool stuff like vertex deformation for cool effects without even stepping into Mono.) The problem is that it's not nearly as extensive as it needs to be (really, still no GPU noise function?!), and most of the time you also run into roadblocks that require you to go and make your own shaders anyway...and then you're left with trying to figure out two seperate shader systems. The bigger point is...why isn't this something that Unity devs focus on instead of just bringing in a 'new' PBR all-in-one shader?

- We did not use the Avatar for certain obvious characters that would in no way fit a Biped even remotely (the fox, for example, is treated as a Generic Avatar.) The nice thing is that your animation should come in 1-to-1 as you animated it, since this bypasses the Avatar system (and thus the RoM stuff entirely), although there are sometimes odd things that happen with gimbal flipping in animations (but those can be solved easily). The bad thing, and correct me if I'm wrong here, is that you lose all IK features. You also lose the ability to retarget animations from character to character. Which, for the fox, we didn't mind so much, since we didn't have any other characters that would share his animations. As for IK on the fox...that's why we made his paws so tiny :)

As for 2 spine bones and the devs' reasoning behind it (it's not even documented X_X):
http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/26/mecanim-humanoids/

- Particle Playground is nice. However in testing it severely degraded performance and we decided not to investigate further into optimizing our engine for it. I did use it for some of my own personal freelance fx work and it was alright; like I mentioned, I ended up more scripting effect behaviours that I specifically wanted, and combined them with Shaderforge shaders on meshes to be able to control more effectively the final look without trying to figure out "why isn't this working?"

I think we just have to agree to disagree on the part of how Unity handles metadata for files though :P To me, it's absolutely mad how the devs are fine with the way the GUID/UUID system works, which to me defeats the whole purpose of them in the first place (and was an endless source of frustration for us since there's really no way around it, since we cannot predict how exactly Unity would generate the new GUIDs, and under what circumstances.) Since it applies to everything, from shaders to levels to models...it's just a terrible unnecessary roadblock to collaboration owing to the old implementation of the unity asset server, and should be given a serious rethink.

Anyway, that's as far as I'll go on the subject of Unity; I was glad for the experience tbh. (It makes me much more thankful other engines exist) I'd love to discuss more about it!... but we should probably have that conversation off the list. :X

(p.s. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the game when you get to playing it!)