Hey Matt,

it´s good to know that the island´s power supply lines have been tuned to successfully survive short 3000W kettle power drains, imagine a world without just a quick cup of tea. That´s like the Commonwealth never existed. I see why you want to have an UPS.

Seriously, having an unrealiable power supply can ruin your day. It´s commonly forgotten to check a computer´s power supply from where on the wall it´s plugging when looking for problems with a machine crashing sporadically. Often, just a sudden drop or a surge is enough, which can easily happen when multiple users on one fuse kick in or drop out. That will be hard to detect because power installation fuses are dimensioned quite bigger than needed (to support the odd, sudden 3kW kettle bursting in) and don´t blow easily to make it more obvious.

Regardless of high-end gaming PC, workstation or server, they may tend to go beyong a 1kW power supply and may actually happen to use it and that is something often forgotten when laying out power cables and plugging things. Power supply and electricity costs need to be factored in, too.

Electricity becomes so expensive, it can be regarded an important factor when consolidating multiple machines into one or generally budgeting for a specific scenario. Just as maintaining multiple machines vs. one on a day to day basis should be looked at against having the need to run
multiple render jobs simultaneously or not.

Here´s a nice link for EU types, might be a cost efficient step into playing with building dedicated hardware http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/

Cheers,

tim