De : softwires-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:softwires-boun...@ietf.org] De la part
de Ralph Droms
Envoyé : lundi 11 octobre 2010 20:46
À : draft-ietf-softwire-ds-lite-tunnel-opt...@tools.ietf.org
Cc : Ullio Mario; Chairs Dhc; Softwire Chairs; Softwires
Objet : Re: [Softwires] DHCPv6 AFTR name option is needed

(Adding dhc WG chairs to the thread.)

The client behavior in draft-ietf-softwire-ds-lite-tunnel-option-04 did not
describe any mechanism in which the client would combine the FQDN from the
tunnel option with a suffix in the search list option to form a new name to use
as its AFTR, nor did it mention anything about the DNS system doing load
balancing.

Given the text in draft-ietf-softwire-ds-lite-tunnel-option-04, there is no
advantage to sending an FQDN, so the spec should define only the IP address
option.

- Ralph

On Oct 8, 2010, at 1:30 AM 10/8/10, <mohamed.boucad...@orange-ftgroup.com>
<mohamed.boucad...@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:

> Dear Tomek,
>
> Thank you for this clarification.
>
> Providing the IP address in the option is not flexible enough and especially
> it may not be recommended to achieve load balancing. Otherwise the DHCPv6
> server should act as a load balancer, which is not currently our preference.
>
> To illustrate more the usage with the domain name option: The scenario I
> mentioned (is similar to what currently done in some VoIP networks for
> distributing customers among SBC nodes or P-CSCFs): you provide a generic
> FQDN of the AFTR by the DHCP server together with a suffix in the dns serach
> list option. When the B4 receives these two options, it will form a the FQDN
> to use to resolve its AFTR. Then a query is sent to the DNS system (it can be
> dedicated to the service), and based on the load considerations, the
> requesting client is redirected to the appropriate AFTR nodes (i.e., an IP
> address is returned).
>
> With the sole IP address option we can not have such engineering flexibility
> for the provisioning of the AFTR.
>
> Having the two options allow for more flexibility for the engineering. IMHO,
> the IETF should not impose engineering choice to SPs. It will be up to each
> service provider to decide whether an IP address or a FQDN is more convenient
> in his deployment context.
>
> Hope this clarifies our concern.
>
> Cheers,
> Med

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended
solely for the addressees.