> >    "Not much of an interesting story. 
> Academy
> > grad, ranking in the bottom third of my
> class.  Worked about every
> thankless, crap job befitting someone that
> graduated last in his class
> straight through until I made full lieutenant. 
> My commanding officer at the
> time was a newly promoted Captain named Markus
> Garibaldi.  He gave me a second
> chance.  Actually, it was a first chance, but
> that is another matter.  He
> assigned me to security on a rotation to serve
> under the son of a well placed
> admiral.  The son was an idiot, promoted
> because of his father.  I was to keep
> him from killing people, and to help him learn
> how to be a competent officer.
> I did just that.  Had to practically beat it in
> him too.  After, I conned the
> poor bastard into resolving our disagreements
> with a kendo match.  Each time
> he made a mistake, and I would correct him we
> would argue.  Then we would have
> a kendo match to settle it.  I happened to
> study kendo as a child living in
> Japan where my parents worked for a large
> company tech, so I had a small leg
> up on him.  His beatings got so bad that the
> CMO had to relieve him several
> times, and he quickly learned to take the
> advice of others and to brush up on
> his qualifications.  For that strange 7 month
> assignment I was promoted to
> Lt.Commander as operations Manager.  That was
> about 12 years ago.  From there
> my career, and reputation, has been built on
> taking the dirty little jobs that
> no one wants any part of.  That is actually how
> I got my command, some two and
> half years ago.  Starfleet needed some nut to
> command this rag tag crew on
> this piece of crap ship.  They figured I was
> perfect since I don't always
> follow the book.  Kind of a left handed
> compliment.  Well, in six months this
> reject crew and throw away captain had this
> ship in a condition that it had
> not seen in years.  Efficiency ratings rose 3
> points above fleet average.  All
> it takes is finding the biggest bad ass and
> conning them into the kendo gym. 
> My exec, who came aboard about 3 months ago,
> still remembers his last
> concussion.  He got it 2 weeks ago, but don't
> let him fool you.  He *IS* from
> Japan and is technically better than I am. My
> luck comes from having a hell of
> a lot more experience with a shinai than he
> does."
> 
> She nodded, smiling occasionally as he spoke,
> chewing her steak thoughtfully
> as she listened.  "Verrry imprrressive,
> Captain," she smiled when he was
> finished, meaning it.  "I would rrratherr have
> a hundrrred warrriorrs like you
> on my side than a thousand snot-nosed little
> admirrral's childrrren.  It's why
> I like SpecOps; the people in it arrre like
> you; not afrrraid to do what they
> have to do."
> 
     "We are a rare breed.  Apart from the spit and polish officers and the
slackers. " he said tking another bite of his meal.
> 
> "So, what is yourrr currrrent generrral
> assignment?  Supporrrt?  Escorrrting
> carrrgo convoys?"
> 
   "Convoy escort.  Boring detail, yet very important.  Not to mention
hazardous these days."

  {response}

Reply via email to