I am designing a foam system to be fed from a limited volume public water supply. NFPA 16 mentions a pre-primed foam system with significant decreases in demand. I spoke to someone who knows foam and he said that the system is filled with the foam-water mixture instead of just water (and the foam mixed in at the riser). The biggest problem being that the mixture breaks down over time, so it ends up as pretty much dirty water. My questions are this: Has anyone worked with this type of system before? I was thinking recommending a three year pre-priming schedule, does this make sense? If the pipe is going to contain a mixture full-time, should it be galvanized? The difference in using could be the difference between a pump and tank for a 12,000 sqft warehouse.

Todd G. Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, Connecticut
www.fpdc.com