-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ron
Greenman
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 11:23 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: fm200 vs sprinkerls

Gregg,

I'm not an AHJ although I do train them on occasion. My interpretation
is that the sprinkler system is general protection for the building
and that the wonder gas d'jour is equipment protection (hence special
hazard in an otherwise general building environment) therefore the
sprinklers are required by building code and NFPA 13. Unless amended
all building codes I'm familiar with reference NFPA 13 for sprinkler
coverage if the building occupancy, type and size requires sprinklers.
NFPA states sprinklered throughout with no proviso for alternatives.
On Apr 8, 2008, at 9:10 AM, Greg McGahan wrote:

> We have done multiple projects in which the server rooms have been
> protected
> with FM200 systems and had no sprinklers.
> We now have a bldg like this in which the AHJ is stating that a room
> with
> FM200 is not exempted from NFPA 13's requirement to be protected
> throughout
> and therefore must have both FM200 and sprinklers.
>
> Is this a true statement in you other AHJ's eyes?
>
> Thank you,
> Greg McGahan
>
> Living Water Fire Protection, LLC
> 1160 McKenzie Road