From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org]
On Behalf Of Steve Leyton
Sent: Saturday, April 8, 2017 9:18 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Sprinklers over low partitions

 I would ask the owner of the project to help you acquire information about
mini storage industry standard practices. The reason that the partitions are
not full height is the same reason that hospital curtains have a drop with a
between the track and the top of the panel - it's for fire sprinkler
distribution! The design of this building and those partial height
partitions is to allow the exact basis of design concept that you have
undertaken for the fire sprinkler system.

The first mini storage units I worked on as a designer had full height
walls. When you have 5 by 5, 5 by 10 and 10 by 10 cells that each have a
sprinkler, you can literally end up with 40 sprinklers in the design area.
After doing a couple projects with ESFR-like demands, we worked with a local
storage company to drop the walls and use heavy duty mesh on top of the
partitions for security between individual units. This is now the norm and I
would not take no for an answer in this situation. Get the owner of the
project to help you in any way that they can. If, as owners often do, they
try to pawn this off as your problem, then I would hit them for the additive
change order you're entitled to for extra sprinklers and larger pipe size.
That will get their attention and likely lead to some support for your
argument.

Steve