I’m referencing the 2013 Edition of 13D.

1.2.2 A sprinkler system shall be designed and installed in accordance with
this standard to prevent flashover (total involvement) in the room of the fire
origin, where sprinklered, and to improve the chance for occupants to escape or
be evacuated.

8.3.1 Sprinklers shall be installed in all areas except where omission is
permitted by 8.3.2 through 8.3.8.

8.3.4 Sprinklers shall not be required in garages, open attached porches,
carports, or similar structures.

8.3.5 Sprinklers shall not be required in attics with or without storage…

8.3.6 Sprinklers shall not be required in covered, unheated projections of the
building at entrances/ exits as long as the dwelling unit has other means of
egress.

8.3.8 Sprinklers shall not be required in closets in garages and exterior
closets (regardless of size) located on exterior balconies, exterior
breezeways/ corridors, or accessed from outdoors where the closet does not have
unprotected penetrations directly into the unit.

IMHO, I would ask myself the following:

If you called that a “storage closet” as opposed to “storage” would that change
your opinion?

Are the holiday decorations and unused exercise bikes in the storage room more
of a hazard than the parked cars?

Do you have to egress through the garage to escape or be evacuated?

I say that the language excluding coverage of certain areas of the building is
trying to be fairly clear that in 13D situations you are protecting the
occupied areas of the building only.  When you look at the exclusions as a
whole, protection is not required.  When I put a budget number on an eerily
similar building earlier this week I excluded the garage level, including what
was labeled “Unit 1 Storage” and “Unit 2 Storage”. I did have a sprinkler at
the bottom of the stair landing or vestibule.  In the 13R option for the
budget, I included protection in the garage area and closets.

Nick Maneen, SET

c 704.791.7789